Friday, 6 April 2012

Water Play: Creating a running stream


We've been making the most of some lovely weather over the last couple of weeks and spending as much time as possible outside. Water play is always popular so we created our own make-shift garden water feature with a running stream!


Our recycled water butt with a bit of extra sealant came out to play again (see our Winter Outdoor Water Play for some fun we had with it a couple of months ago).  This was raised up on a bucket full of stones and a riddle, just what we had to hand really, and formed the top part of the stream. 


At the bottom of the run was another yellow flexi-trug and running between the two to form our stream was a piece of guttering.


We then had some little bits of wood offcuts that we used as boats and we had lots of fun letting them 'sail' down the stream and into the bucket at the end.  


Next time I'll think we'll maybe have a go at making some little mini boats or rafts for playing with this, although having said just the little bits of wood provided endless entertainment for both the girls.  They loved sending them down the stream, watching them drop out into the water and then collecting them up to take back to the start.

  

 When the stream stopped running we simply dunked a watering can into the bottom bucket and took it back to the top, refilling the water butt and off it went again.  It even had that nice water feature trickling sound that was nice to listen too!  The tap of the water butt also provided lots of fun for Little Chick seeing if she could stop the boats mid flow and also creating waves by turning it on and off.  


Shoeshine just loved putting her boats on the stream and watching them sail down and drop into the bottom bucket.  She was busy doing this again and again and again! 

Can't wait for some more sunny weather and thinking what other things we could do with water, maybe some dams or locks or waterwheels?  I love this idea of making a weir from At Home with Ali.  What water play do you enjoy?

22 comments:

  1. How wonderful is this?!! My girls would ADORE one of these. Hmm, I'll see if I can convince Daddy! I am featuring this on It's Playtime this week, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna - am honoured to be featured on your blog. Sometimes it is useful that my husband keeps all sorts of spares and bits and pieces! Thanks again. Ellie

      Delete
  2. I've been dying to create one of these in my backyard, and you've inspired me with the rain gutter. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids just love running water don't they - can't wait to see your creation, send me the link if you get a chance. Thanks for stopping by. Ellie

      Delete
  3. oh I love this & so achievable & gives the children such autonomy. I am sharing this on my facebook page, it is such a brilliant idea! Kierna

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an amazing set-up, my kids would love it (and so would I). Thanks for linking to my weir post. I am going to share this on fb too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I loved you're weir post and the mixing of coloured water, I know my eldest would love us to do this too. Ellie

      Delete
  5. Love this idea as well! going to try this in the back garden tomorrow! Just re-attached our waterbutt last weekend. thanks for the brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by - did you get around to having a go with this? Hope you had fun. Ellie

      Delete
  6. Ellie, thanks so much for adding this to the outdoor play link-up this week. Kierna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting the outdoor linky it's such a great idea and always full of simple, easy and fun ways to make the most of being outside I love linking up there. Ellie

      Delete
  7. Oh, I can imagine my daughter playing with something like this for hours. What a great idea! We have an unused water barrel, that you have inspired me to take out for my daughter to play with. Thank you for linking up to The Outdoor Play Party this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - we love the Outdoor Play Party - such a great idea, thanks for hosting. Ellie

      Delete
  8. My little one would LOVE this! What a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing and gives me so many great ideas for this summer! Thanks so much for sharing with the outdoor play party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a clever idea!!! I love it! Thanks for linking up to the All Around the Year Carnival.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a fantastic idea! Thank you so much for sharing it with the All Year Round Carnival. :) I've featured your post here: I've featured your post here: http://sunnydaytodaymama.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/all-year-round-week-seventeen-7-summer.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...